User Services and Building Locations

What kind of instructional or library user education services does the library offer?
The library has a variety of user education services to meet students' specific needs. We offer:

  • Library tours
  • New freshmen orientation
  • General and specific library instruction classes

Will someone be able to show me how to research a particular topic?
A reference librarian will be available to help you. You may schedule a class or visit the library. We also develop information resource guides and pathfinders for your specific subject matter needs.

What should I do if I need articles or books that are not available either online or at the library?
If the library does not own the journal article that you need, and it is not available online, you can obtain the article through Interlibrary Loan (ILL). It will be obtained from another library or information center. ILL requests can be made online or you can fill out forms which are available both at the Reference Desk and at the Circulation Desk on the first floor.

I am a Howard University student. Why can't I have access to a study room or PBL room?

  • Group Study Rooms are for use by two or more: Students, faculty and staff in the colleges of Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy and Allied Health; including graduate students.
  • Problem-Based Learning Rooms are for five or more individuals from these colleges.

Where may I eat in the library?

  • Beverages and light snacks may be purchased in the Vending Lounge located at the south end of the lobby on the first floor.
  • Food consumption is prohibited elsewhere in the library.
  • Smoking is prohibited throughout the building.

Where is the public telephone located?
The public telephones are located on the first floor around the corner from the Security Guard Desk.

Where are the photocopiers located?

  • The Library has two self-service photocopying machines, located on the First Floor.
  • The copiers require vend cards with money encoded on them.
  • Money can only be added to vend cards in five dollar ($5.00) increments not to exceed $25.00 per vend card at the HU Bookstore at 2225 Georgia Avenue or the i-Lab on Bryant Street.
  • There is a $1.00 charge for the initial blank vend card.

Where are the computers with Internet access and Word processing?

  • There are 25 computer terminals in the Dr. Harold J. Kaplan Multimedia and Presentation Room (#119) located on the first floor that can be used to access electronic databases, Internet, word processing as well as email.
  • Printing is unavailable and there are NO FLOPPY DISKS or CD-ROM drives in the Library.
  • Twelve study carrels with audiovisual equipment are available for use with video or audio tapes in the Harold J. Kaplan Multimedia and Presentation Room.
  • Additionally, there are computers (MACs and PCs) opposite the Access Services Desk and on the second floor mezzanine.
  • There are wireless ports for laptops throughout the building.