International Dentist Program
This program affords a dentist who received a dental degree from outside the United States to matriculate in the third year of the pre-doctoral dental program, after calibration and competency assessment. The candidate joins the third year dental students (D3) and completes a degree within two years at HUCD. To be considered for admission to HUCD the applicant must have successfully completed the National Dental Boards Exams Parts I and II. All applications and credentials will be evaluated by the American Dental Education Association (ADEA) Centralized Application for Advanced Placement for International Dentists (CAAPID) and must be submitted by January 15 of the anticipated year of admission. ADEA CAAPID is a centralized application service devoted to supporting dental schools that offer advanced standing programs for applicants with dental degrees earned outside the US and Canada. The application will be operated similarly to the current AADSAS and PASS application.
English Language Proficiency
- Must be proficient in the English language.
- Applicants whose native language is not English are required to take the TOEFL with a total score of 100 or more (computer based only - no paper based scores).
- Must submit original TOEFL score report directly to program (not to ADEA CAAPID)
National Board Dental Examination Requirements
- Program prefers passage of NBDE Parts I and II to be considered for admission
- Submit official National Board Dental Scores to program (not to ADEA CAAPID) only if scheduled for an interview.
Letter of Evaluation
- Program requires three Letters of Evaluation
- Program prefers one Letter of Evaluation to come from dean of dental school from which applicant graduated.
Transcripts and Evaluations
- Applicant must submit to ADEA CAAPID a detailed evaluation by either ECE or WES
- If admitted, official transcripts from original dental school to be sent directly to Howard University.
- Send the $200.00 application fee in certified funds to the program (not to ADEA CAAPID) only applications with the fee paid are considered complete.
Other documents that should be sent directly to program (not to ADEA CAAPID), only if requested
- Supplemental application may be requested after review of your ADEA CAAPID application
- Send 2x2 photograph to program (not to ADEA CAAPID) after being contacted by program for a scheduled interview
- Only complete applications will be reviewed.
Length of Program: 24 months
Program Deadline: January 14, 2013
Start Date: May 15
Class Size: up to 10
Degree Awarded: DDS
Dr. Esther L. B. Childers
Howard University College of Dentistry
600 W Street NW Room 128
Washington, DC 20059
Tel: 202 806-0349