The Clinical Laboratory Science profession is an exciting and rewarding health career. Clinical laboratory scientists provide rapid access to laboratory test results that are critical for the diagnostic and treatment decisions necessary for the delivery of quality healthcare. A degree in Clinical Laboratory Science prepares graduates for employment opportunities in clinical, veterinary, and forensic laboratories; biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries; management, marketing, and biomedical sales. Clinical Laboratory Scientists (Medical Technologists), including graduates of Howard University, are employed nationally in the following settings:
- Hospital Laboratories
- Physician Office Laboratories
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Public Health Laboratories
- The National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- The Red Cross
- Bioterrorism Laboratories
- Traveling Technologists
Clinical Laboratory Science is also an excellent alternative to degrees in biology and chemistry for those students who plan to pursue post-graduate studies in Medicine, Dentistry, Biomedical Sciences or Public Health.
The program at Howard University is a fully accredited (NAACLS) four year BS degree program. The curriculum includes science and general education courses in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, English, and the Social /Behavioral Sciences taken at the freshman and sophomore level. These courses can be also transferred from accredited universities or community colleges.
Specialized Clinical Laboratory Science courses taken during the program are taught by experienced nationally certified faculty. In the final year of the program, students complete their clinical practicums at accredited clinical laboratories in the Washington, DC – Metropolitan area. Graduates of the program are eligible to sit for national certification examinations.
The goals of the Department of Clinical Laboratory Science are to:
- Provide an educational experience of the highest standard in clinical laboratory science
- Prepare highly skilled laboratory scientists who are committed to lifelong learning and eminently capable of contributing to the delivery of quality health care
- Instill values of professional responsibility, ethical conduct and compassionate concern for those we serve