Advanced Pharmacotherapy Preview Program (June 3-28, 2013) Self-Paced
The Center of Excellence (COE) program, funded through the Department of Health and Human Services, was established to assist designated health profession schools and other public and non-profit, or educational institutions strengthen the national capacity to produce a culturally competent healthcare workforce, whose diversity is representative of the U.S. population.
The Advanced Pharmacotherapy Preview (APP) Program is one of the many support programs offered through the COE to meet the needs of current Howard University Student Pharmacists. The APP Program is proposed to prepare rising second year students for the pharmacology and pharmacokinetics component of the curriculum. This four week component (during the summer prior to the second academic year) will be offered online only to all rising second year students, through the COE and Blackboard website and will utilize AccessPharmacy® and ExamSoft. Students will receive preparation guidelines, and a structured introductory module including weekly assignments, textbook readings, online chat room discussions, and online assessment. Course materials will focus on Integrated Therapeutics I & Integrated Therapeutics II (Pathophysiology, Pharmacotherapy, Pharmacology and Dispensing). Students will be encouraged to complete homework and team building exercises, as well as participate in study skills activities.
- To increase the on-time graduation rate in the PharmD program
- To provide an opportunity for PharmD under-represented minority students to develop mentoring relationships with upper level minority health professionals and graduate health professional students
- To improve and maintain the first time pass rate of students on the North American Pharmacy Licensure Exam (NAPLEX)
PLEASE NOTE: This page will be updated periodically. Be sure to check for updates regularly.
Registration for summer 2012 is now in progress. All registered voluntary and conditional students will be granted full access to the APP Portal on May 30, 2013. The APP Program 2013 begins on Monday, June 3, 2013 at 9:00 a.m. and will end on Friday, June 28, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time)
Course materials will be supplied free of charge and available under the Resources tab of the College of Pharmacy website.
Click here for the APP Program Course Syllabus
HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS
- A Windows or MAC operating system computer
- Minimum High-speed Internet Access (56K speed or above) recommended with online players
- A sound card if required in your computer along with speakers or headphones
- Adobe Flash and PDF plug-ins (two free and simple downloads you can obtain athttp://www.adobe.com /downloads by clicking GET Adobe Flash Player and Get Adobe Reader)
- Java 7
PROGRAM CLASS SCHEDULE
This program is self-directed and self-paced using Blackboard and Tegrity.
Details to access this program online will be available May 30, 2013.